Monday, March 15, 2010

Someday

In times spent
preening by the ornate mirror.
Me smeared, of colors.
That filled her beautiful lips.
Her angelic face, nearly as red,
with false anger and arched brow,
as she put away the broken bits.
And wiped clean my face,
with the back of her palms.
Someday, thought I,
I would pout,
proud of the redness
and of my own fullness,
Just as she did.

She stood me,
on the high table
I could not reach otherwise
And unwrapped me from
yards of splendid fabric,
sighing at the tears I had caused
mulling over the damage, lips curved.
Someday, thought I,
I would sizzle like on fire
draped in those very silk
and make hearts flutter,
Just as she did.

She sat me down
and put away the stilettos,
awkward and wobbly in mine.
She, an epitome of grace.
And when she walked in them,
Oh! I would watch amazed.
Someday, thought I,
I would walk like a dream,
on air, high on cloud nine,
and the gait shaming a 1000 doe's,
Just as she did.

Through the lowered lids,
and silence then,
I did not see anger or pain,
yet the salts stung at my eyes,
rolling down my cheeks,
that she kissed away.
And held me in a warm embrace.
Quiet now in her snuggle,
 she sniffed ,for she had known
that someday her angel would be
scrubbing them off few of her own.

Now, I smell, smudge the tips of
every shade by my dressing table,
I feel the best of my wardrobe,
crisp, shining in neat rows.
I look at the shiny black pair,
in the closet, left ajar.
And smile.
At the missing one from the rack,
At the faint clicks down the hallway,
My bundle of joy in a cat walk.

I know I can never fill your shoes, 
Any day.
Love you Mom. 

3 comments:

  1. Multiple drafts later I am yet to come up with a decent vote of thanks to all those wonderful women in my life who shaped me to be what i am today. Anything i managed to write ended up in cliches and oft repeated, oft abused adjectives and did no justice to what i had in mind. At the end , what i wanted to be a glorious tribute of my affection and acknowledgement of all the efforts these woman have made over me ended sounding like the staple clips from a national daily cheering woman's day for posterity's sake. So finally, this one is for you MOM...you make my world go round...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom is always special and we more often than not do not let her know how much she means to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Tribute!! No words to say nor would like to interpret, just sit, enjoy the read & meditate over it. Excellent!!

    ReplyDelete