Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Songstress...Prelude to a night


The day broke over the rim
exploding over the azure
in fuchsia and rust.
The pursuit far from over
But fly on I must.

Much wind beneath my wings,
The skies, relentless.
The rugged terrain, ruthless.
Deafening solitude
Spread over
unending miles.
All feeding off my soul
to sate their hunger.
My thirst,
unquenched, stings.

Just when I spiraled
off the dome.
Letting go of a lost cause.
Dazed. Weary.
Abruptly, though, forced off
instead on a scenic route
by a gust so strong.
Half dead, vaguely alive,
as it carried me home.

And I found my song
in the slope of your neck
the arch of your back,
My aching body
resting in your gentle embrace.
The night of love has
just begun
as I make my bed in your arms.
Letting go of everything
frozen in time for so long.

And I wept.
The cursed raven now
morphed to a nightingale.
The dusk draping
over the rim
licking vestiges of  day light.
The dark, a witness
of a fast broken
a promise kept
over a full moon.
And then I wept.

No comments:

Post a Comment